Friday, December 16, 2011

Growing Old



I had wanted to share this experience a while ago, but time slipped on and I got busy. Then I was reminded of this sweet older couple yesterday and just knew I had to record this experience.

In the first of November I was working one Friday afternoon when an adorable older couple came for and eye exam for the wife, Lucy. Lucy had dementia but was very sweet. They were early so I asked if they would like to pick out frames for new glasses. Poor Lucy was struggling being in a strange place, but Fred (her husband) held her hand and kept saying, "Let me see that smile!"

Lucy went right over to the frames and picked out a very pretty frame. She was sold. Didn't even need to try any others on. She then hugged me. Fred said, "She's a hugger." It was so sweet. As we waited for the doctor to finish his last exam, Fred told me, "I knew her before she was like she is now. I can't leave her. I love her." He was so gentle and caring with Lucy I could just see how much he loved her.

I continued with my work as the doctor did the exam. When she was finished I had to take a couple measurements and square away what type of lenses she would like. With everything ready to go for her glasses, Lucy hugged me several more times. Then she held my shoulders and looked me right in the eyes and said with all sincerity, "I love you." I told her how happy I was that she could come see us and that I would see her soon in a couple of weeks when she came to get her glasses.

This couple touched my life that day in more than one way. First, I was touched my there love and how caring Fred was for Lucy. Second, Lucy taught me that you can love someone even if you don't know them. For her it was as simple as me just talking to her and giving her hugs. It should be more simple for me to express my love to others as she did to me. Third, my grandfather had Alzheimer's, and this experience reminded me of him and the memories I have of him.

Yesterday, Fred came in to the office to have his own eye exam. I noticed he didn't have Lucy, but I didn't ask at first. I started chatting with him and he told me she passed away peacefully right after Thanksgiving. I was floored. I couldn't believe that she was gone. He explained that they had hospice in helping and some other healthcare professionals. Fred related his last moments with Lucy, "I went in on Sunday morning, gave her a kiss and told her I loved her and that I would be back in just a minute. When I came back she was gone." He started to cry when he told me this and I about did too. It probably was much more touching to experience this myself than what you will get about writing about it, but it is sort of like the love of the couple in the movie, "The Notebook." This is a lesson in love for me. To always be caring and kind and always show love. This is what love is about. Life doesn't always go as planned, but we can always love and learn to love others.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Emily....this did make me cry :) thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete